ROASTED RED PEPPER ‘CHICKEN’ CHICKPEA SALAD
Red Pepper ‘Chicken’ Chickpea Salad with chickpeas, roasted red bell pepper, vegan mayo, garlic and onion is full of flavor and makes a great wrap or sandwich filler, dip or salad! Ready in 10 minutes.
- 15.5 ounces organic chickpeas, drained (1 whole can)
- ½ cup roasted red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minces
- 4 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo or hummus (or tahini + 3 tablespoons water)
- salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Red Pepper Dressing:
In a blender or food processor, combine roasted red peppers, minced garlic, capers, vegan mayo (or hummus / tahini) and salt and pepper. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick, add more hummus, vegan mayo or a few tablespoons of warm water.
Combine the roasted red pepper dressing with the mashed chickpeas and diced onion. Mix well to combine.Serve chilled or at room temperature.Use this chickpea salad in lettuce wraps, on a bed of leafy greens with sliced cucumbers and red bell peppers, scoop up with crackers or vegetables, or make a sandwich using your favorite bread! This recipe lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Top Tips for Making Chickpea Salad
- I like to roughly mash 3/4 of the mixture and leave 1/4 of the chickpeas whole. This gives the salad a nice texture and makes every bite a little bit different.
- You can easily halve the recipe and make different chickpea salads. But trust me, you’ll be glad you made the whole thing.
- Use flavored hummus instead of vegan mayo to add a rich depth of flavor to the salad. I like to use Roasted Red Pepper Hummus for a super flavorful salad.
- Prepare the dish 30 minutes in advance and let all the flavors meld together before serving.
- Sandwich: It’s great as a sandwich filler using your favorite bread. Add sliced tomatoes, shredded cabbage, cucumbers, along with a layer of hummus or more vegan mayo on the bread. Mashed avocado would be great too!
- Wraps: Whole grain wraps or lavash bread would be a great for the lighter fare. Lettuce wraps are cool and refreshing, use romaine or bibb lettuce. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and julienned cucumbers. YUM!
- Salad: Make a salad, adding a heaping spoonful on top of a bed of leafy greens. Throw on some cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices and a squeeze of lemon. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top to taste.
- Dip: Serve as a dip, scooping it up with crackers, freshly sliced cucumbers, red bell peppers, or crusty french baguettes works great too.