Italian Vegan Stuffed Peppers (With Tempeh)
These Italian Vegan Stuffed Peppers are packed with bold flavors, protein and nutrients. Featuring tempeh, fresh vegetables, Italian herbs and quinoa, this recipe makes a hearty lunch, dinner or meal prep dish!
- 4 large bell peppers (green, red or yellow)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) package of tempeh, crumbled
- 1 cup asparagus
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (or rice, cauliflower rice, farro)
- ½ cup tomato sauce (canned marinara sauce)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian Seasoning (basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage)
In a large skillet, add in the onion, garlic, asparagus, zucchini and crumbled tempeh. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the tempeh is slightly brown.
Add in the tomato sauce and cooked quinoa (or rice.) Incorporate all ingredients thoroughly. Remove from heat.
Slice off the tops of the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds in the inside.
Scoop the tempeh and vegetable mixture into each bell pepper. Make sure to pack in the mixture by pressing down slightly with the back of a spoon. The peppers should be heavy and the mixture should be compact.
Place the stuffed peppers in an oven safe baking dish (I line mine with parchment paper.) You can add shredded vegan cheese on top if you want. Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake on the center rack for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove cover, top with optional grated cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Instead of quinoa, you can use rice, cauliflower rice, brown rice, farro, etc.
- Add in mushrooms and yellow squash for more variety
- You can use a flavored tomato sauce for a combination of flavors
- Add in extra spices like red hot pepper flakes for a spicy stuffed vegan pepper
- Substitute the tempeh with tofu or white beans
Storage and Reheating
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. (Great for meal prep!)
- Freezer: You can store stuffed peppers in the freezer for 2 – 3 months. To freeze, simply let peppers cool completely and store them in freezer safe containers. Let thaw before reheating.
- To Reheat: Reheat in the oven or microwave. For the oven, place the peppers in a baking dish and bake at 350 F for about 15 minutes. To reheat in the microwave, slice the peppers in-half lengthwise to ensure that they warm evenly and microwave for 1 – 2 minutes until warmed through.