This creamy cashew ricotta cheese is rich and velvety. You can make this vegan and oil free cashew ricotta cheese in 10 minutes. All you need is a blender and you can make your own cashew ricotta cheese for all of your favorite recipes!
Behold, a delicious, creamy, cheesy Cashew Ricotta Cheese. This recipe is a great plant-based cheese alternative and is 100% soy free. Made from cashews, this ricotta cheese is another amazing recipe to add to your repertoire of vegan alternatives.
Vegan Ricotta Cheese tastes just like the real thing. You can flavor the cheese with different herbs like rosemary or dill and use it in all sorts of vegan dishes. I like to use this as a spread with crackers when I am craving cheese, or when I make Vegetable Lasagna. Instead of using store-bought cheeses, I just add a layer of this vegan cashew ricotta.
You’ll find that this recipe only requires a few ingredients, making this a good transition recipe for those who are new to Veganism. If you are craving a healthy dairy-free Vegan Bodybuilding Snack, or are just starting out with experimenting with different nut cheeses, then this 10 minute recipe is a good fit.
Ingredients Needed to Make Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese
- CASHEWS – the cashews will be soaked in water before blending to help make the cheese extra creamy.
- LEMON – gives the cheese some acidity.
- NUTRITIONAL YEAST – adds vitamin B for energy and gives a cheesy flavor.
- GARLIC – who doesn’t like garlic?
- ONION – onion powder gives a slightly bright flavor to the cheese.
- SALT + PEPPER – seasoning to taste
How to Make Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese
Time needed: 10 minutes.
How to Make Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese:
- Soak the cashews
Start by soaking the cashews in water. Place them in a cup or bowl and completely submerge them under room temperature water for at least 1 hour. To expedite this process, soak the cashews in hot for 10 minutes.
- Blend ingredients together until creamy.
Next, place cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and blend until creamy. Scrape the mixture with a rubber spatula from the sides if the cheese gets stuck. Adjust seasonings for a saltier cashew ricotta cheese.
- That’s it! Store in the refrigerator.
The recipe is complete! Store your creamy cashew ricotta cheese in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or serve fresh. This recipe lasts 5-7 days in the fridge.
How to Store the Cheese
Storing the cheese is easy and it can also be frozen if you prefer to batch make this recipe.
- FRIDGE – Store in an air-tight container for 5-7 days.
- FREEZER – Store in a freezer friendly container for up to 2 months. To defrost, remove the cheese from the fridge and let it thaw out on the counter for 30-60 mins. Then, refrigerate.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
Soaking the cashews helps soften them for blending. It helps make the cheese creamy without it turning into a nut butter.
Yes! While the optimal way to soak cashews is to let it sit in submerged room-temp water for at least an hour, you can submerge them under hot water for 5-10 minutes.
This may happen as the oils solidify from the cashews. Simply add in some water or unsweetened almond milk and the cheese should loosen up. Keep mixing until it is all incorporated.
No, this recipe does not contain any soy.
Absolutely. I like to add rosemary or fresh herbs like dill to make a flavored cashew ricotta cheese. Try out any pairings that you like!
Cashew Ricotta Cheese is…
- Easy to prepare in under 10 minutes.
- Can be made in a blender or food processor.
- Dairy and soy free
- Versatile and can be used in any recipe requiring cheese
- Perfect is your just beginning your transition to Veganism
- Savory, creamy and delicious!
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think in the comments below and leave a rating! Cheers.
Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 ½ cup soaked cashews
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice about ½ of a lemon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Soak the cashews in room temperature water for at least 1 hour. Ensure the cashews are completely submerged in the water. For a faster method, soak the cashews in hot water for 5-10 minutes. The cashews will be nice and plump. Drain and rinse the cashews off after soaking.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add all of the ingredients to the blender. Pulse and / or blend until the mixture is smooth. Scrape the sides of the blender or food processor to ensure everything is blended evenly.
- Add any extra seasonings or herbs to the ricotta cheese. Once completely blended, the cheese is ready to use.
- You can use the cashew ricotta cheese right away or you can store it in the fridge. It lasts 5-7 days in an air-tight container.
- You can also store it in the freezer for up to 2 months. To defrost, let the cashew ricotta cheese thaw on the counter for 30-60 mins, then place in the fridge until you are ready to use.