Have you ever tried our ultimate Black and Pinto Bean Mushroom Smash Burger?
Let’s be honest, we all crave a good juicy grilled burger…without meat of course! While there are a ton of vegan and plant based frozen burgers on the market, nothing tastes better than a freshly made burger. Our recipe for the ultimate black and pinto bean mushroom smash burger is made with fresh mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic, black and pinto beans, this burger makes for a great weekend meal for any BBQ! Check out the recipe below to learn how to make a black and pinto bean mushroom burger. This recipe won’t disappoint!
How to make a vegan black and pinto bean mushroom smash burger in 8 steps
Begin by preparing your vegetables for the burger. Finely chop mushrooms, onions, garlic and carrots. Throw everything into a big bowl.
Next, add 1/2 cup of both canned organic black beans and pinto beans. Drain them from the can and rinse them in a colander with water. I use my hands and gently smash the beans together to begin breaking them up. This makes it easier to combine the burger mixture together.
Finally, add in your wet ingredients and dry herbs/seasoning. I used dijon mustard, Worcestershire, ketchup and some tomato paste. For my seasoning, I used cumin, onion and garlic powder, some smoked paprika, oregano, nutritional yeast (for vitamin B) and Italian seasoned bread crumbs.
Combine the mixture and form into burger patties
Grill your vegan black and pinto bean mushroom burger for 4-5 per side
Use a non-stick grill or skillet. You may have to use some olive oil or a non-stick spray to ensure your patties do not get stuck to your pan or grill.
Top with your favorite condiments! I used vegan cheese, tomato, pickles, sauerkraut and mustard and ketchup. Delicious!
Click here to check out our other Vegan Lunch recipes!
- 3/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup organic black beans
- 1/2 cup organic pinto beans
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons organic vegan ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 +/- cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Start by finely chopping mushrooms, mincing garlic, and dicing carrots and onions. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in drained black and pinto beans. Use hands to mash beans to make combining ingredients easier.
- Add in dijon mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce.
- Add in bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using your hands, combine mixture and form into 4 large patties. Add more bread crumbs if mixture needs help binding together.
- Add your patties to a skillet or grill pan.. Coat with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil to prevent sticking. Let cook 4-5 minutes and use the back of your spatula to 'smash' the burger into a thin patty. Then, flip burger when it easily flips and there is a nice char.
- Let cook another 4-5 minutes on the other side. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. This allows burger to harden up.
- Serve with your favorite bun. Add pickles, lettuce, tomato, sauerkraut and ketchup and mustard.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.