My Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna hits all the right notes for this classic Italian recipe. This Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna is loaded with mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, onions, marinara and of course, plant-based cheese!
Behold, the ultimate Italian comfort food and a staple for warming the soul, I present to you: Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna. Like most of us this year, our cravings for comfort have never been higher and this recipe will satisfy all of your desires for a savory, cheesy and saucy lasagna.
This dish is hearty, easy to make and easy to store. Vegetable Vegan Lasagna is made with mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, peppers, onions, garlic, marinara sauce and oven-ready lasagna noodles.
This no-guilt Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna is ready in 1 hour, loaded with vitamins and nutrients from the vegetables and perfect for Sunday night dinners.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna
I love this recipe because it requires very minimal preparation. All you have to do is chop the vegetables, layer the lasagna and bake! You do not have to pre-cook the vegetables since the lasagna bakes for 50 minutes. Here is everything you will need to make this dish:
- MUSHROOMS: I use baby portobello mushrooms but you can use any type of mushroom for this recipe.
- BROCCOLI: I enjoy the crunch of the broccoli. You can substitute with cauliflower.
- ZUCCHINI: Thinly sliced and halved. I always have this hanging in the fridge but you can use Yellow Squash.
- BELL PEPPERS: Thinly slice bell peppers or roasted red peppers. If you have frozen bell peppers, use that!
- ONION: Chop up an onion. You can use yellow, white or red onion for this lasagna recipe.
- MARINARA SAUCE: I love my favorite Victoria’s Marinara Sauce. Use any brand of sauce that you like!
- LASAGNA NOODLES: Use only the oven-ready lasagna noodles this way you don’t have to pre-cook them!
- VEGAN CHEESE: My favorite vegan cheese is Mozzarella but you can use whichever type you want. If you want to add Cashew Vegan Ricotta cheese between each layer, check out my recipe here!
What Are Oven-Ready Lasagna Noodles?
In the past, lasagna noodles had to be cooked in boiling water before assembling a lasagna. Now, there is oven-ready lasagna noodles that cook in the oven while the lasagna is baking. No longer are the days where making a lasagna takes 2 hours. With oven ready lasagna noodles, simply layer the noodles into the baking dish.
Here are a few Important Cooking Tips for Oven-Ready Lasagna Noodles:
- You must use a lot of sauce. The dry noodles will soak up the sauce and the liquid in order for them to become soft. It is just like pasta or rice. If you don’t have enough sauce in your lasagna, then the noodles will come out hard.
- Add the sauce directly on top of the noodles. When you add a layer of noodles, add sauce right on top to ensure they can soak up the liquid and cook properly.
- Break the noodles to fit in the pan. You can break them in half or layer them on top of each other. It is okay if it is not perfect as they will cook and meld together in the oven.
How to Make Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna
Time needed: 50 minutes.
How to make easy vegetable vegan lasagna
- Prep the vegetables
Chop onion, garlic, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms and bell peppers. Place them on a plate into groups so you can layer them evenly in the lasagna.
- Assemble Bottom of Lasagna
In a baking dish, spoon a few tablespoons of marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish. Completely cover the bottom and ensure there is enough sauce for the oven-bake noodles to soak up.
- Layer Lasagna
Add the first layer of noodles on top of the marinara sauce. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce on top of the noodles, followed by a layer of mushrooms, onions, pepper, garlic, zucchini and broccoli. Repeat these steps, adding a layer of sauce on top of the noodles, followed by more vegetables.
- Optional: Add Cashew Vegan Ricotta Cheese
In between the vegetables, you can add a few tablespoons of my Cashew Vegan Ricotta Cheese. Check out my recipe here.
- Bake at 400F
Cover the lasagna with foil and bake at 400F for 45 minutes on the center rack. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle your favorite vegan cheese on top and let it melt.
- Let cool before serving
Allow the lasagna to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Use a covered container or simply cover your baking dish with foil.
Individual slices can be reheated in the microwave. To reheat larger portions, preheat the oven to 425 F. Add ¼ cup marinara sauce to prevent dryness to the top of the lasagna. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the lasagna is hot and bubbly.
Yes! To make the dish in advance, prepare the lasagna ahead of time (up until baking), and keep it stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400F, bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove foil, add cheese to the top and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
Yes. Use gluten-free lasagna noodles.
Absolutely. I have a great recipe for Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese here that you can use. Store-bought vegan sliced cheese usually will melt and you won’t taste it if cooked for 45+ minutes.
I hope you enjoy this delicious, Italian recipe for Easy Vegetable Vegan Lasagna. Please let me know if you try this recipe by leaving a comment below and give us a rating! Cheers.
EASY VEGETABLE VEGAN LASAGNA (READY IN 1 HOUR)
- 1 small onion, diced (yellow, white or red onion)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (baby portobello)
- ½ zucchini, sliced (or yellow squash)
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup bell peppers, sliced (or roasted red pepper)
- 9 ounces Oven-Ready lasagna noodles (1 package)
- 2 cups marinara sauce (approx.)
- ½ cup vegan mozzarella cheese (to top)
- First, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Chop the onion, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers and zucchini. You do not have to pre-cook these vegetables.
Assemble Bottom of Lasagna
- In a baking dish, spoon a few tablespoons of marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish. Completely cover the bottom and ensure there is enough sauce for the oven-bake noodles to soak up.
- Add the first layer of noodles on top of the marinara sauce. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce on top of the noodles, followed by a layer of mushrooms, onions, pepper, garlic, zucchini and broccoli. Repeat these steps, adding a layer of sauce on top of the noodles, followed by more vegetables.
- TIP: If needed, break apart noodles to fit in the baking dish. Noodles can overlap as they will bake together. Continue to add sauce on top of the noodles.
- OPTIONAL: You can add a layer of Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese in between layers for extra cheese.
- Cover the lasagna with foil and bake at 400F for 45 minutes on the center rack. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle your favorite vegan cheese on top and let it melt.
Allow lasagna to cool
- Allow the lasagna to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.