Who says you can’t be vegan and enjoy hot, gooey and creamy macaroni and cheese? Made without oil and dairy, our baked vegan creamy mac-n-cheese is an easy and great weeknight meal to make. This recipe is made with elbow pasta, cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast and is topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and baked to perfection. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
How to make baked vegan creamy mac-n-cheese
Begin by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Throw in a generous handful of salt and cook your pasta of choice. We prefer the classic elbow shaped pasta! Follow the instructions until your pasta is cooked perfectly. The pasta should be fully cooked through, but still have a bit of a bite.
Meanwhile, prepare your cheese sauce
In short, you will need 1 cup soaked cashews, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk and 3-4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast is what gives this sauce a cheesy taste. And as always, add some garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Combine your 3 ingredient vegan cheesy sauce with the pasta
I just mix it all in the pot that I cooked the pasta in because I am lazy 🙂
Fully combine all ingredients. Sneak a taste and determine if you need to add any seasoning.
Jazz up this recipe with other variations of our baked vegan creamy mac-n-cheese
- Adding 1 tablespoon of chipotle powder or finely chopping some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to make this a spicy vegan creamy mac-n-cheese
- Adding 1-2 tablespoons of white or black truffle oil to make truffle mac-n-cheese
- Add in 2-3 tablespoons of vegan cream cheese to make an extra cheesy and gooey baked vegan creamy mac-n-cheese
Add bread crumb topping and bake
Sprinkle over the top a generous handful of Italian bread crumbs. I just sprinkle it right on top. It tastes really good and there is no need to mix it with vegan butter.
Then, place it in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Finally, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Scoop a large piece out and enjoy!
Store the baked vegan creamy mac-n-cheese in a airtight container for 5-7 days in the fridge!
- 1 box of elbow pasta
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 3 - 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Add 1 box of elbow pasta and cook until tender
- Prepare your cheese sauce by soaking 1 cup of cashews in water for 20 minutes
- Add soaked cashews to a blender, along with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
- Blend for 2-3 minutes until a thick and creamy cheese sauce is formed
- Add the cheese sauce to the pot with the cooked pasta and combine everything together
- Place the mac-n-cheese in an oven safe baking dish
- Sprinkle a generous handful of Italian bread crumbs on top
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown at 350 degrees
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 915mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.