The perfect Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are moist, thick, chewy and gooey. This easy vegan cookie recipe is made with classic pantry staples and can be whipped up in no time.
This Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is my ultimate midnight indulgence for when I am feeling naughty. These cookies are sweet, chocolatey, moist and decadent. Making this dessert does not require any special cooking utensils like a mixer – just a large bowl, a spoon and a baking sheet is all you’ll need. My favorite thing about this chocolate chip cookie recipe is that is 100% vegan – no eggs and no dairy. This Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip recipe will always help you to enjoy the sweeter things in life ;).
Ingredients required to make Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
For this amazing vegan dessert, we will be using the following ingredients:
- VEGAN BUTTER – You will need vegan butter to make the cookie dough. If you don’t have any on hand, click here and use my Easy 4 Ingredient Vegan Butter Recipe to make this dessert. If you prefer to purchase vegan butter, I recommend buying Earth Balance or WayFare. You can find them at Target, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, etc. I have included their store locator’s for your reference.
- SUGAR – This recipe uses a combination of coconut sugar and raw cane sugar. Feel free to just use one type
- UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK – Instead of dairy, use your favorite unsweetened plant-based milk. I use almond milk, but you can use cashew milk, coconut milk or oat milk. The almond milk will act as a binder and help whip the batter into creamy whipped goodness.
- FLOUR – I use regular unbleached all-purpose flour for this recipe. You may use a whole wheat flour or spelt flour. If you are using spelt flour, I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill Spelt Flour. Do not use almond flour or coconut flour as the dough will not form properly.
- BAKING SODA – Helps the cookies rise
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS – My favorite chocolate chips are Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. They are dairy-free and are one of the only chocolate chips on the market that literally just has chocolate. A lot companies produce processed chocolate chips derived from syrups and liquors.
How to make Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here comes the fun part and before you ask – yes, everything is edible raw. 😉
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- In a large mixing bowl, add in softened room temperature vegan butter, coconut sugar and cane sugar.
Mix the vegan butter sugar mixture until a mouthwatering, buttery, sweet sugar dough forms.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and unsweetened almond milk. Gently mix together with a spoon until a whipped, creamy vegan cookie dough batter forms.
- Next, add in your Vegan Chocolate Chips and fold into the dough.
- Take 1 tablespoon of chewy vegan chocolate chip cookie dough and drop it onto a lined baking sheet of Parchment Paper or Silpat.
- You can add some extra chocolate chips on top so they poke through on the surface when the cookies bake.
- Place in the oven for 10-11 minutes. Make sure you place them in the center oven rack so they do not burn.
- When the cookies are done baking in the oven, remove them and place them on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Recipe Tips for the BEST Cookies
Using softened vegan butter makes combining ingredients much easier. To soften vegan butter, remove from the fridge 20-30 minutes before you prepare the cookie dough. Placing it in the microwave will make melted butter.
If your cookies come out fluffy, that means you added too much flour to your dough. To properly measure flour, spoon flour into a measuring cup and level off the top with the back of a knife. Do not scoop flour directly from the bag into your measuring cup.
Do not cook your Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies for more than 11 minutes. They may appear undercooked, but they will continue cooking for up to 10 minutes after removed from the oven.
If you don’t have Vegan Butter, use my Easy 4 Ingredient Vegan Butter Recipe. This recipe uses pantry staple ingredients that you most likely have. If not, use an oil (something fatty) like coconut oil.
The cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments what you think! I always appreciate hearing your feedback! If you are in the mood for a healthy sweet treat but with fruit, check out my Vegan Blueberry Muffin Recipe!
Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 large baking sheet
- ½ cup Vegan Butter (You can substitute with coconut oil)
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup Raw Cane Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk (You can substitute with cashew milk, coconut milk or oat milk)
- 1 ½ cups Unbleached all-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking liner.
- Add room temperature vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and add the coconut sugar and the cane sugar. Combine together until a sugar crumble.
- Add 4 tablespoons of Unsweetened Plant-Milk (Almond Milk, Cashew Milk or Oat Milk) until the sugar-butter mixture is whipped.
- Once the batter is whipped, add in the flour and baking soda. Gently fold in the dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Drop 1 tablespoonful of the vegan chocolate chip cookie dough onto the lined baking sheets and bake in the oven for 10-11 minutes.
- Place the cookies on a cooling rack and let rest for 10-11 minutes.